22 February 2012

gluten-free cinnamon buns

eek!  somehow this post got buried in my draft folder!  what a sweet, gooey, cinnamon-y shame.

last month 2 of my friends celebrated birthdays within a couple days of each other.  both anne & ryan love making music and they were putting on a night of feet-moving tunes at our local watering hole to celebrate.  sadly m & i were going to end up missing this party night to get him down to the airport, so instead we had them over for dinner.  the birthday kids are both omnis of the open-minded kind and willing to try anything from my vegan kitchen {which i love!}, so i cooked up my high protein cauliflower alfredo complete with sundried tomatoes to wow them with alongside a huge massaged kale salad inspired by this lovely one from hannah.  i couldn't decide on a cake for dessert, so on a whim i made cinnamon buns!


cinnamon buns usually get relegated to brunch material {and don't get me wrong, i love a sunday cinnamon roll brunch} but they're all kinds of amazing as a dessert too.  especially since like a cupcake you get your very own, which you can scarf down, or eat it methodically, round and round, layer by layer, winding your way to the middle for the most amazing few gooey bites in the universe.

and actually, a little birthday candle fits perfectly when wedged in the middle of the roll!

{birthday girl & birthday boy}

i used this recipe, cutting it in half and making it with gluten-free flour.  the original {full} recipe makes 8 - i made 6 from my half-batch.  they were a little on the small side, but perfect size for dessert!  for the icing i just whisked up a little icing sugar and almond milk and poured it liberally over top of the semi-cooled buns. 


sorry to have held out on these drool-worthy photos, but i figured better late than never.  hopefully you won't mind looking at them on the blog for a little while...

if you don't hear from me for a couple weeks, it's because i'm bound for spain on friday!  actually, on friday i'm bound for london.  once there i'll be meeting up with m now that his uk tour is complete, and then we're headed to spain, where we've got exploring to do, sangria to drink and vegan tapas to {hopefully} discover! 

and i can't wait to tell you all about it when i return. 


23 comments:

  1. Wow - these DO look amazing, what a great post to leave up for a few weeks of fun in Europe. Have a great trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cinnamon buns look delicious! have fun on your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those look great! What type of gluten free flour did you use? Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks katie! i used bob's red mill blend & xanthan gum.

      Delete
  4. These look wonderful! Have fun in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me get this straight, you just posted some of THE most incredible looking gluten-free cinnamon buns {that are also vegan}--pictures that just made me wish I could marry cinnamon buns--and you did not share the recipe? Is this what I am hearing? And to make matters worse, you are leaving for a while, making me wait LONGER for that recipe. I do have this correct, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have it *almost right! ...the recipe wasn't mine but it is linked in there somewhere - i guess maybe my font theme/hyperlinks are a little too subtle?? haha, happy hunting! ;)

      Delete
  6. These look scrumptious! It's been years since I've made cinnamon buns. You know, you keep adding to my to-bake list (in all honesty, I have had both your spiced oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies and "It's a Date" granola recipes open in tabs in my browser for the past two weeks so that I am reminded to make them)! I think I'll be keeping *this* tab open... ;)

    ¡Buen viaje!, Jess. Have a wonderful time in Spain! If you go to Barcelona, you should definitely hit up Juicy Jones. When I went several years ago, it pleased me immensely; and another place in Barcelona provided a most delightful vegan paella. Also, when in Madrid, I ended up with a meal that was COVERED in cheese, when no mention of cheese was made in the menu listing. So, it's always best to explicit. I'm sure you'll be fine, and my advice is probably superfluous. Buen provecho :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've got one of those mental "to bake" lists too! flattered to hear a few of my recipes are on yours :) and thank you for the well wishes, i'm really looking forward to this trip! xo

      Delete
  7. It's a good thing Cara doesn't know I have a VGF cinnamon roll recipe.. ;) Isn't it amazing how well the cinnamon rolls come together? I was certain they'd fail with using gluten free flour.

    HAVE FUN IN SPAIN! EEEEEEP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for reminding me to try your recipe when i return!! and thank you - eeeeeeep!

      Delete
  8. I’m impressed, I’ve never seen gluten-free cinnamon rolls look so good. How was the texture?
    I love the added touch of the birthday candles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the dough was a little short on elasticity but the flavour was incredible. will maybe try another gf flour blend on my next batch to see if that changes things. let me know how you do if you try them too though!

      Delete
  9. These cinnamon buns look amazing! I never eat them for dessert but think it's an excellent idea. Have a wonderful time in Spain!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a BLAST on your trip!!! And cinnamon buns are the best. I love breakfast for dinner, and these qualify as phenomenal brinner dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I will be making these asap! Look amazing, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! i just had a dream that i traveled to spain bc my musician husband was touring, and we loved it there so much that we decided to just stay! ha, there was so much detail, though i've never been!

    enjoy your trip! can't wait to read about it.=)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a wonderful time in Spain (and London!!) - I too am blind like Cara and can't find the recipe in this post to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmm delicious! They look lovely :)
    And gluten-free, even better!

    SL
    lovelygreenlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. do u have the recipe for it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi christine, as i mentioned in the post, i used this recipe (http://epicurvegan.com/2010/12/09/the-ultimate-vegan-cinnamon-bun) and adapted it.

      Delete