30 April 2012

whole wheat strawberry pecan scones

this morning i was enjoying a quiet coffee whilst catching up on some blog reading.  among all of the delicious, inspiring reads were these breakfast cookies from jackie over at vegan yack attack.  they had my stomach growling and mouth watering, and with some fresh strawberries left over from wedding shower cupcakes i made this weekend {carrot cake with strawberry cream cheese icing for those wondering} i set to the kitchen.  but somewhere along the way between table & kitchen i became distracted by the thought of scones...  with the inspiration still fresh in my mind for strawberries & pecans, here's what resulted.




whoa.  these were stellar.  juicy berries & crunchy pecans.  stellar i tell you.  and yes, stellar might be a little dated of me, but given that the one and only brandon walsh was spotted around town this weekend, i was feeling a little nostalgic for some 90s lingo.   no guff.


whole wheat strawberry pecan scones
makes 8 jumbo scones
1/2 cup all purpose organic flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 oz vegan shortening
1 flax egg {1 tbsp ground flaxmeal + 3 tbsp hot water: mix & wait 5 minutes}
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup pecan pieces

preheat your oven to 400f.  in a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.  cube the shortening and cut it into the flour mixture with 2 forks or a pastry cutter.  add in the flax egg and mix lightly, followed by the  milk.  mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated and then gently fold in the strawberries & pecans.

the dough will be very extremely sticky and messy to deal with, but i promise the outcome is worth it!  {if it's totally unbearable though, add a bit more flour a tablespoon at a time.}  flour your hands really well and then scoop up about 1/3 of a cup at a time and pat it into a round and flatten just a little bit as you transfer it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.  leave a good inch or two between them because they will spread out a bit as they bake.  pop them in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes and then remove them to cool.

13 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to make Jackie's breakfast cookies for a while now! So yummy!

    Your scones look wonderful. If only I could keep strawberries in my house for more than one day and restrain myself from devouring them all. I swear, they have some kind of spell over me.

    But the next time I buy strawberries (which I predict to be within the next couple days - I don't last long without them once they're in season) I shall make these scones (with gf flour, a'course) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like strawberries have the same powers over you that pineapple holds over me!

      Delete
  2. These look wonderful! I've never made scones before, but they're on my "to-try" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're so easy barb, i hope you try them soon :)

      Delete
  3. I just had some delicious strawberries, I'll have to get some more, these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm now you have my mouth watering too! I love this flavor combination- I swear, pecans go with almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound so delicious! I've been looking for a scone recipe to try and this has got to be it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon a I get a decent batch of strawberries, I know what I'm doing with them now! These sound fantastic, and a great snack idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think my next batch of strawberries will be devoted to another batch of these too! so good to grab & go!

      Delete
  7. hey Jess,
    What can I use as a sub for vegan shortening, I really want to make these but I don't have that one ingredient.
    Happy long weekend!
    xo
    Adri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you could try earth balance/butter - maybe freeze it first though & work quickly to keep it cold before you pop it in the oven. i haven't tried this myself though, so no promises ;)
      happy weekend to you too - and only 6 left of the school year, yeah!

      Delete
  8. Ӏt's not entirely to the pursuit in the satisfactions that make you stay dependent on employers, and now we know this does not work. Drug Store Pharmacist Americans use a longer life expectancy today than in the past before. We impact people in many ways along with numerous environments.

    Stop by my webpage :: ccnp salary chicago

    ReplyDelete