06 August 2012

vegan pregnancy: 23 week update & midwifery care

23 weeks and growing strong!  at the end of last week m & i went for another appointment with our midwives.  i love these visits for many reasons, but my favourite is that we get to hear our baby's heartbeat, and that my friends... well nothing really compares to that.


we are very happy to be working with midwives and we have an awesome team of 2 at one of the midwifery clinics in town.  and actually, at this most recent visit we just found out that our team is growing to 3 -- turns out that one of our midwives is also pregnant and so another amazing woman is coming on to the practice!  i'm really looking forward to welcoming yet another support person in our care team.

for me i have always felt that midwives were going to be the right fit when the time came to choosing a care provider.  there are so many reasons why i love them but here are a few...

time....  during our appointments i feel like i have all the time in the world to ask questions and talk things through.  i've never been made to feel as though any question i've asked has been trivial and they are always met with thoughtful, caring answers.

comfort.... the offices are warm and comfortable and like home really.  they feel anything but clinical and i feel so much more at ease that i have ever felt in a doctor's office.

continuity of care... our midwifery clinic even works to ensure that you can be matched with the same pair of midwives with subsequent pregnancies.  it's not something i've ever mentioned on the blog before {mainly because it happened before i even started cupcakes and kale}, but we were actually pregnant once before and suffered a miscarriage.  our midwives were incredibly supportive through what was an extremely difficult experience and through my follow up care.  when we found out the happy news in march that we were pregnant again i was so happy to be placed with the same team who know me and my history.  we are now continuing to form trusting, nurturing relationships with our midwives.  we see them on alternating visits, allowing us a chance to get to know them each well {& likewise they each get to know us well}, and we can trust in the fact that one of them {whomever happens to be on call when the time comes} will be there to catch our baby.  i also love that we continue to have 6 weeks of postpartum care too.  and did i mention these postpartum visits take place in your home?  amazing. 

support of our vegan lifestyle... our midwives have been incredibly supportive of our vegan lifestyle from day one - but especially after seeing a 2-week sample of my diet journal and then my blood test results which were awesome and all in healthy ranges.  {and ahem, not to brag but i was told mine was likely the best meal plan they've ever seen!}


oh yeah, and about our little one's heartbeat?  i wish i could have photographed it for you - it's that awesome.  and i've been able to feel the little one moving around a bit more lately which is so amazing.  i've been feeling the little flutters for the past 2 or 3 weeks but just in the last few days there have been little kicks here and there too!  i continue to be blown away by the creation of life every day.

in other news, move over fruit, there's another favourite in town and her name is chocolate.

20 comments:

  1. aw I'm so happy for you! i'm glad your midwife experience is going well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks caralyn - they really are awesome, and i feel like i barely scratched the surface of how great they are!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I'm 19 weeks pregnant and also working with midwives - they're amazing. I compared the OB to the midwife appointment and there was just no comparison (15 minutes vs. 1-2 hour appointments!). You should post your meal plan so that people can learn what a healthy vegan eats while pregnant! It's always helpful: even for other pregnant vegans who are just looking for inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonderful news, congrats to you valerie!! and 3 cheers for another pregnant vegan too :) i feel like i might have opened my big trap about my 2-week sample diet - i don't think it was anything particularly note-worthy, but rather just a sample of a healthy, balanced, vegan diet. maybe i'll include a sample of it though if folks are interested...

      Delete
    2. I am very interested to see what your meal plan looks like. I am sure a lot of others are as well. Thank you in advance

      Delete
  3. Hearing your babies heartbeat is really special. I am so happy for you. I love reading your more personal posts. Your hat is rad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh, it's so special, right? sometimes i wish i had my own doplar at home so i could listen everyday.... but then again i likely wouldn't get anything else done because i would become obsessed!

      Delete
  4. oh how i love your baby bump! you look absolutely gorgeous and i am so excited for you(as you clearly know). thank you for talking about midwives! i didn't know much about them at all, but you have totally convinced me that if and when the time comes, i will be going down that same route as well. not to mention, i HATE doctors offices with a passion.

    and i wish you could have taken a picture of the heart beat too. it must be so magical <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you on your awesome meal plan! May we sneak a peek? Or is it on here and I've missed it? I remember having to fill that out for my midwife. It was then that I realized I was eating ice cream every single day - oops.
    I also remember hearing my 2 little ones' heartbeats when they were inside me. So, so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jess :) a few people have asked me now, so maybe i'll do up a little post after all. and re: the ice cream - i hear you loud and clear because i've been going gagga on cookies the past couple days!

      Delete
  6. So happy for you. Isn't feeling movement the greatest thing? I can very much relate to everything you said about midwifery care. It is such a wonderful experience and feels so right. I'm glad to know you are having a good experience with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's so incredible! my placenta is riding up front so it's taken a bit longer to feel things, but i have a feeling that i'll be really feeling the movin' & shakin' soon :) and i'm also so happy that you were able to find a better fit for your care with midwives too.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the update my lovely friend! You look (and sound) so happy and healthy.

    xo
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thanks sweet lady. i miss you on my runs! xo

      Delete
  8. A few of my friends are doulas. I think that is also something to look into! They offer so many wonderful services like placenta preparation (I know it sounds so gross, but it can do great things for you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've heard really good things about placenta encapsulation - definitely something i'd like to learn more about.

      Delete
  9. I am so excited for you! I love seeing these updates and the pictures of your little belly put the biggest smile on my face! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad to hear you're enjoying these updates! :)

      Delete
  10. one my friends just had a baby at the birthing center with a mid wife. she loved the whole experience, less stress, so much more support and help. so happy to see things are going good! have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m just catching up on reading your blog and this is the first I’ve heard of you being pregnant! Congrats!! So happy for you.
    I don’t have any personal experience with pregnancy, but after listening to comparisons with friends, a midwife is the route I would go as well. It just seems like you get so much more comfort and support during and after the pregnancy, and additional stress is the last thing you need during that time.
    Also, your little belly bump is just the cutest :)

    ReplyDelete