17 August 2012

vegan pregnancy: 25 weeks & some of my eats

when i talked about our choice to go with midwifery care for our pregnancy, i mentioned that my midwives told me my meal plan was one of the best they'd seen - and then i got all self conscious because i was afraid i'd come off as being miss braggy-pants or claiming to be some kind of expert.  those of you who know me know that's totally not my style, but it is something that i'm proud of and i wanted to share, especially for anyone reading who might doubt the practicality or that a vegan pregnancy can be healthy.  {not that i've encountered many nay-sayers questioning my veganism lately, but it's just nice to be able to share that my health care providers stand by my choice, you know?}

in any event, i want to preface this post by saying that i'm not a dietitian or a nutritionist - i am simply a passionate, food-loving gal who tries to do right by her body {and the little body i'm growing inside}, and since many of you asked for me to share what i've been eating, that's what i'm doing today.  this is just what worked for me - and allow me to also say that it's not perfect, because i'm not perfect.


because did i mention i'm pregnant?  which means sometimes i get cravings, and i'm pretty okay with honouring them.  for the most part it's been fruit cravings, but umm, the past couple of weeks? it's been chocolate.  in the form of cookies.  and i can't get enough. {although i do limit myself to a couple a day}.

this whole food journaling thing came about as an exercise asked of my by my midwives - they ask all their clients to do this too - they examine it and then help to fill in any nutritional gaps if need be.  it's not that i'm super awesome or anything, but i think i do have a foot up already because of my vegan diet.  anyways, here's a little snippet of what i ate/am eating.  it's only a few days at a time but they're a realistic representation of what i eat on any given day.


3 day sample at 12 weeks:


Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Breakfast
Green smoothie
(pear, mango, spinach, juice, water, avocado, ice)
1 cup coffee + stevia & silk
1 bagel + EB
Chocolate smoothie (banana, almond milk, pb, raw cacao, sunwarrior)
1 cup coffee + stevia & silk
1 bagel + EB
Green smoothie (banana, pineapple, strawberry, spinach, almond milk)
raw almonds
Snack
½ cup leftover kale salad
1 cup pineapple
½ cup green smoothie
1 cup coffee + stevia & silk
Lunch
Sandwich on multi (vegan mayo, tofurky slices, tomato, pickle, romaine)
½ cup lentil hummus + ww pita
1 cup pineapple
2 cups slaw (red cabbage, carrot, romaine, sesame oil, rice vinegar, braggs)
Snack
½ cup chickpea hummus + raw veggies & apple slices
2 tbsp pb + raw almonds & chocolate chips
1 cup pineapple
Dinner
Deconstructed sushi: brown rice with sweet potato, broccoli, cucumber & tamari
Baked sweet potato fries + daiya & miso gravy
Sautéed kale + tofu  with braggs & nooch
Raw mannicoti (zucchini, tomato marinara, cashew cheese, kale pesto)
Quinoa & winter lettuce
Snack
1 cup pineapple
Pb-banana+ sunwarrior softserve
½ bagel + EB
Que pasa chips + salsa, olives


3 day sample at 23 weeks:


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Breakfast
Green smoothie (banana, strawberry, celery, spirulina, almond milk, sunwarrior)
1 cup coffee + stevia & silk

 Green smoothie (banana, mango, kale, celery, spirulina, almond milk)
1 cup coffee + agave & silk
1 bagel + EB
Green smoothie (banana, strawberry, celery, spirulina, almond milk, hemp protein powder)
1 bagel + EB
1 cup coffee + agave & silk
Snack
1 sprouted wrap toasted w daiya

1 apple
Olives & rice crackers
Lunch
Silken tofu ceasar dip with carrots, organic blue tortilla chips
Lunch out: baguette w avocado, white beans, olives, arugula
Ww quesadilla w daiya & black beans
Fresh tomato salad
Snack
cherries
1 cookie
White bean hummus & raw veggies
Dinner
Sausage, bbq grilled veggies (beans, pepper, broccoli, zucchini w sesame oil, ginger, garlic)
Green salad w avocado, hemp & sunflower seeds
Edemame & arame salad with sesame/hemp seeds, tamari, agave
Sauteed broccoli leaves & new potatoes with evoo, lemon & nooch
Jackfruit carnitas w corn tortillas, guacamole, fresh tomato salsa, corn on the cob
Snack
2 cookies + almond milk
Homemade larabar
Ruffles w silken tofu ceasar dip
cherries

another thing that helped is that i am one of those rare women you read about who didn't struggle with morning sickness or crazy aversions that kept me from my usual diet.  to be honest this was a bit of a worry for me at first because i wasn't sick at all during my first pregnancy and after miscarrying with some complications i desperately wanted to feel sick this time around, thinking it would give me some reassurance that everything was progressing normally.  after finding out early on that everything was a-okay with our little one i thanked my lucky stars that i hadn't suffered the nausea i had wished for.  {and yes, i'm still thanking them and knocking on wood too that i don't pay the price with labour nausea!}  what i'm trying to say though is that many women suffer terrible sickness early in their pregnancies that keeps them from eating an "ideal" diet - but our bodies are awesome things and can still provide a little wee babe with all it needs - so in my unprofessional opinion, there should be no guilt in a cracker & pretzel first trimester if that's all you can keep down! 


a few other things:
  • i try to drink a lot of water, sipping throughout the day and i've also been known to polish off a bottle of san pellegrino in the evenings too.  and occasionally a root beer.
  • i also have been enjoying a cup of coffee daily.  this is almost always at home, fair-trade organic and i brew 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf.  it often gives me a bit of indigestion, but yet i find myself back in the same spot the next morning.  i really do enjoy the taste of a good cup of coffee.
  • the daily bagels are a new thing since becoming pregnant - i've really been loving them toasted with earth balance!  {that's the "EB"}
  • food journaling takes a lot of time & effort!  being that i'm a grazer it's also likely that there are mouthfuls and spoonfuls here and there that didn't get recorded.  {for example, my friend krista left a carton of rice dream in my freezer after a weekend visit, and spoonful by spoonful it has somehow disappeared.  ahem.}
  • aforementioned ice cream eating might have something to do with the solid 10lbs i've now put on :)
  • i take prenatal supplements daily & b12 once a week. 

there are some great resources out there and i can't stop reading about and searching for more information.  in terms of nutrition so far i've really enjoyed sayward's vegan pregnancy survival guide, a plethora of online resources including this ongoing series from dreena burton & also keeping up with other vegan mamas to be who are blogging their experiences too.

if you have any questions about my eats, let me know!  in the mean time i'm going to pack a bag & my passport and psych myself up for a weekend of lugging this belly of mine around one of my favourite cities this weekend...

20 comments:

  1. Thanks Jess! I really appreciate reading this. Your diet looks fantastic for sure - and yummy! The bagel at breakfast is a great idea, since sometimes those green smoothies are just not filling enough. I have the problem where I am absolutely starving mid-morning after breakfast and before lunch, so I'll definitely be looking at your post for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks valerie - hope it will provide a little inspiration if you're tastes are anything like mine :)

      Delete
  2. wow what a fantastic meal plan! you're really taking great care of yourself nutritionally! I sometimes wonder if I will get weird pregnancy cravings when I have a child one day. (I don't even have a boyfriend yet!!) haha you look glowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, i always wondered what kind of cravings i might get too ;)

      Delete
  3. I love seeing food diaries. Your diet looks delicious and full of things that I love to eat like green smoothies and daiya quesadillas. And bagels are very much missed around my kitchen since going gluten free, but sound wonderful toasted with EB.

    And you look absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks nikki, and oh my, i'm not sure where i'd be this pregnancy if i couldn't have gluten! i just love my chewy bread products so much!

      Delete
  4. You look beautiful Jess. Your child is so lucky to have such a healthy, aware, glowing Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I'm not pregnant, I want this meal plan. All of it sounds so good!

    I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage (it's such a hard thing to go through!) but I'm so happy to hear your pregnancy is going well, without any issues.

    I hope you're having a great weekend, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I didn't know you were pregnant. I am so behind with reading my favourite blogs. Anyway, congratulations! Your meal plans look so great. I found my vegan pregnancy very easy, too and I think I had the best iron levels in my whole life. Lots of lentils, chickpeas and hummus here, too.
    P.S. I had many of the same experiences you shared in this post and I can totally relate to your feeling that nausea would be a good sign. In the end I was happy I also didn't get it. Good luck to you and lots of good thoughts for the rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you mihl! hope all is divine with life & motherhood across the pond :)

      Delete
  8. You are a rockstar. I had a hard time at the beginning due to feeling nauseous pretty often, but have been trying really hard to do well for me and the babe. I'm definitely inspired by your meals and thinking I need to get back into my morning smoothie routine. My breakfasts have been a bit lacking and those might be just what I need to fill in the gaps. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I hope you had a wonderful trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. smoothies make for such good, nutritional powerhouses of sippers & perfect for mornings too when i'm too groggy to chew ;)

      we had a wonderful trip - lots and lots of walking & yummy eats that i'll be sharing tomorrow!

      Delete
  9. great going.. the food journal is a great idea. i'd be super happy if i dint get any nausea or sickness. all the best and keep blogging about it. makes me feel better that there are nausea free pregnancies:) one of my neighbors is going through her first and she gave up meat coz she couldnt stand it. She was eating soups and chips. luckily after her lunch at our place, she has discovered that her tummy agrees with certain kinds of indian food:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great and what a lot of yummy nutritious food you are eating. Lucky babe you are growing there. I miss being pregnant with my three vegans. I love seeing other vegan bloggers post about their pregnancies. Enjoy ever moment of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just amazing; this diet chart will surely be helpful to many of us. Pegnancy diet is an important issue which should be considered prior to anything else.

    ReplyDelete